You’re likely expecting some magical formula, some step-by-step guide to posing; where to place your hands, how to stand tall, whether to look at the camera/away from the camera, what settings on your camera to use, etc.
This isn’t that guide.
As with most things in life, you can sit around reading pages and pages of instructions, guides, how-tos, etc and never really get anywhere… Or you can decide you’ll just take action and start doing the thing, even if it means you’ll suck at it for a while.
So here’s your step-by-step guide to taking great Tinder pics:
- Buy a DSLR camera.
- Go take 1000 photos of yourself/flowers/animals/streets/architecture/furniture/the floor/the ceiling/sunsets/sunrises/friends/family/enemies/grass/anything at all, so you can get good with the camera. Play around with every setting, do a bit of research into aperature, f-numbers, shutter speed, manual vs automatic mode, autofocus, etc if you need to. Basically, learn by doing and by experimenting.
- Once you know what you’re doing, hand your camera to your friends and give them a bit of a super-quick rundown of how to take a photo of you. Get them to take 100 photos of you (tell them it’s totally cool if they’re out of focus, or blurry, or out of focus, etc). Just take 100 photos. Go home, check the photos, see if any are decent. Get your friends to do this every time you go out – especially if you go somewhere interesting.
- Eventually some of those photos will be good. Post them somewhere you can get honest feedback (Good Looking Loser is a good example). Ask other people for feedback on how you can pose better, look better, whether you should try smiling vs not smiling, looking at the camera vs looking away, etc.
- Eventually you’ll have a whole bunch of pretty decent photos. Use them on Tinder. Get matches and go on dates.
- Iterate steps 2-5 ad infinitum. Eventually you’ll have a batch of better and better photos. You should ALWAYS be improving your pics/physique/style/fashion/etc, learning how to pose better, smile better, etc. Onwards and upwards.
Yep, that really is it. Practice makes perfect. Here’s the kind of quality you want to be aiming for, but it’ll take you a while (and a lot of practice taking photos) to get there.
As I wrote in my DSLR Camera Buying Guide, a couple mates of mine have gotten great results from literally just taking thousands of photos and asking for feedback, until they get some they’re happy with. Examples:
So if you’re not getting laid on Tinder because your pictures suck, there’s no excuses. Stop mucking around. Follow the steps above – buy a camera, take a tonne of pics, ask for feedback, repeat. It’s exactly what myself and a bunch of others have done, and it works.
Any questions? Drop them in the comments below.